Ben Onuorah (Fine Artist, Computer Programmer and Educational Technologist) was born in Lagos State, in 1986. Graduated from Lagos State Polytechnic and Lagos City Polytechnic with ND and HND in Computer Science, from Yaba College of Technology and University of Nigeria, Nsukka with ND in General Art and B.A. (Ed.) Education/Fine and Applied Arts respectively, then Master in Information Technology from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, M.Ed. in Educational Technology from National Open University of Nigeria and M.F.A. in Painting from University of Benin.
Fine art is a talent that I have been nurturing since I was a kid, even before I starting primary school I have always have the passion for drawing and always insist I want to be an artist when I grow up, here is a prove (I won the overall best pupil merit award in art in 1997 when I was in primary 6, from an art competition organized by the Ikeja Local Government Educational Board in Lagos), I never allow this passion to die even as I discover that I can make more money as a Computer Programmer (I went into Tech in 2004).
My works are mostly influenced by the traditional Igbo Uli design as well as the vastness and complexity of human imagination. Igbo culture is very rich and an inexhaustible source of inspiration to me. It can come in the form of past or historic Igbo tradition, language, architecture, religion, people to today’s technology and everything that connects or relates with the way we lived in the past, living in the present or shall live in the future. These subject matters are often the bases for my expression. My paintings and drawings are often in abstract form with complex symmetric lines, motifs and patterns. Some of these carry strong meanings drawn from the nsibidi and uli inscriptions, while others are pure imaginative expressions depicting the complexity and beauty of human mind.
- 2019 Miniature Art Fair Lagos, by Ogirikan Art Gallery, at Mega Plaza Shopping Mall Victoria Island, Lagos.
- 2019 October Rain Art Exhibition, by Society of Nigeria Artists (SNA), Lagos State Chapter.
- 2018 October Rain Art Exhibition, by Society of Nigeria Artists (SNA), Lagos State Chapter.
- 2018 Guide of Nigeria Fine Artist 10th anniversary exhibition
- 2018, Uplifting Spirits, by Arts in Medicine, at Terra culture
- 2018, Ota Art Fair
- 2017, Sublime Conversations, an exhibition at IICD Artist in Residence
- 2017, Group Exhibition. Anastasis, Visual Arts Exhibition, organised by RCCG Olive Tree Parish, Banana Island Lagos.
- 2017, Union Bank at 100 Centenary Art Challenge; one of the best 100 Qualified Artists
- 2017, Artwork qualified for inclusion at the Ake Review (Arts and Book festival) magazine
- 2021, Exploration of Pareidolia Phenomenon for Mixed-Media Painting, MFA Final Exhibition, University of Benin, Nigeria
- 2017, Solo Art Exhibition. Towards Visual Strength, (FineArt.com.ng online exhibition)
- 2017, Solo Art Exhibition. Scenes and Places, (FineArt.com.ng online exhibition)
- 2017, Solo Art Exhibition. Lines in between the Motives, (FineArt.com.ng online exhibition)